11.08.2010

My First Official Day on the Job

Today is my first day as a mom on maternity leave. Well, it sort of started last night. I was determined to let Steve have a good night's sleep since he had to work today so I took care of all of the feedings, changings, soothings while he slept. He left this morning at 6:30 am for work, and we are on our own! :) Thank goodness my friend Karla will be here in a few hours! :) haha

We were finally discharged Saturday around 11am after her jaundice levels came back low and the doctors had seen us. I was SO happy to leave that hospital after spending 4 nights there and hardly leaving my room. Our hospital has bells (like church bells) that ring through town as new babies leave. It was so pretty. I almost cried.

As soon as we got home, we took pictures (lots of them) and settled into our house. Then, Betsy came to help out. She was WONDERFUL! She did laundry, washed dishes, made meals, and gave great advice. We had some visitors Saturday night and then we settled in for our first night home.

The first night wasn't the best, but I guess it's what we should have expected. Hailey wanted to stay awake, and we wanted to sleep. Betsy saved our lives (well, our sanity) and stayed up with her for a few hours so we could sleep. It was LOVELY!

Sunday was a great day. Betsy helped me give Hailey her first sponge bath at home. It started with her peeing on my hand, and ended with her relaxing while I washed her hair under the faucet. She LOVED that part. Later, Hailey took her first trip out to meet her great-grandma who was in IL when she was born. She loved being in her arms. Then, we hung out at our house as a family and relaxed.

Last night was a much better night. Even though her days/nights are still messed up, Hailey was much more content. We were up for several hours because she didn't want to close her eyes, but I learned a trick! :) Turn the lights on! I had the lights dimmed everywhere to "soothe" her, but that was only keeping her awake because she could look around. As soon as I turned them on, she closed her eyes and went right to sleep! Seriously, I wish I were a faster learner.

Today, my friend Karla is coming in town to help out. (I honestly couldn't have better friends.) She's going to help me out with a ton of stuff including taking Hailey to her first doctor's appointment tomorrow.

Life is good...no, great...I couldn't ask for anything more.

4 comments:

Victoria Meister said...

AH,Sweet mystery of life...I am so glad you are able to have help and enjoy these precious moments...God Bless your new family
Vicky

Jonica said...

I'm so thankful for your blog so I can see her beautiful face and hear your new mommy stories. Enjoy every moment...

Mom said...

She's beautiful Megan. I know you and Karla are having a blast.

Jane said...

She's gorgeous and looks very content -- I'm sure you're going to have a great time learning to be a Mom and Dad to this child. We're really enjoyed the photos.