7.19.2010

Living Like the Amish

Thursday was supposed to be my day to get some crafting done. According to the weather man, we were supposed to have scattered showers. Boy was he wrong!

The day started out pretty normal. I finished up the curtains and was relaxing and waiting for the rain. Then, around 4:30, the thunderstorm watch turned into a severe thunderstorm warning and mother nature showed us what's up.

Being the responsible mother I am, Sprout, Moose, and I headed to the basement about the same time the power went out. I crafted by candlelight (hand sewing....someone needs to make a battery operated hot glue gun) until the storm seemed to pass.

I walked upstairs and called Steve to let him know we were without power. While talking to him, I looked out the window at our front yard and saw the biggest mess ever! The trees surrounding our house just weren't strong enough to deal with mother nature's blow. One giant tree fell to cover half our driveway and another broke in half to hang over the power line....nice!

To make a long story short, Steve cut our way out of the driveway and we sought refuge at one of the few houses with power, Steve's grandparents'. Then, we returned home to sleep in our powerless (air conditionless) house only to find the fire department blocking our driveway and smoke everywhere. My heart sank. Luckily, it was just a broken power line and we were able to go around it to get home.

It was so hot, we slept here

in the basement...with Moose...on an air mattress....(un)heavenly.

Friday, I cut and pinned fabric for when the power came back on and started knitting like the amish.


Then, I spent the afternoon at the pool where power isn't necessary.

Finally, Friday evening, our power came back on, and all that was left was some serious clean up.


I didn't take before pictures, but you can see the giant brush pile on the right along with a tree stump and a bunch of logs.

Our backyard was COVERED in sticks. Now, we're ready for a big bonfire!

No comments: